Friday, June 22, 2012

More things I'm excited about

Within the past several months a few very cool things have happened in my writing career (I get to call it a career even though I'm not currently being paid any money at all, right?).

First, I had a short story accepted for publication in a new literary magazine called Garbanzo, which came out at the end of May.  It's a very unique little book, and I've been lucky enough to get my hands on a few copies (one of which was my payment for allowing my story to be published).  It really is one of the coolest things I've seen.  The aesthetic appeal of the book is pretty amazing in it's own right, but then there's this:
What writer doesn't dream of seeing her name in print?

Bonus:  Working with the folks at Garbanzo was an incredibly rewarding experience.  They don't care who you are, or even what you write about.  It doesn't matter if you've published dozens of novels or nothing at all, they just want to celebrate good writing.  Being selected for Book 1 was a really huge honor.  Also, I got a bag of dried garbanzo's in the deal, so I'd say I came out on top.  

Apart from that triumph, I've started working on a new co-written novel with my best-best-friend-in-the-entire-world, Katherine Ernst, who had an amazing idea and then was generous enough to let me help in bringing it to life.  Smart girl, that Katherine. :)  We've always been a crack team (in writing and life generally), but the collaborative process was made even easier by the fact that, after over a decade of living thousands of miles apart, we're now living less than 800 feet from one another.  Clearly the universe is behind us 100% on this new venture.  

I'll be sharing more details as the project progresses, but for now let me just say that, at five chapters in, I'm already completely in love with this book.  I love the world.  I love the characters.  I love the ensuing hijinks.  Mostly, though, I love having a project to love again.  

2 comments: