Wednesday, September 26, 2012

So much to do (so little time)

First, apologies (and excuses) must be made for how neglectful I've been of this blog.  As mentioned in my last post, I've been working on a new novel with my amazing co-author Katherine Ernst, and that project has been taking up *a lot* of my time lately.  Between writing, editing, suggestions from beta-readers, and starting the query process I haven't had much time for blogging.

Since things are finally settling down a little, and we feel really good about our query/pitch, Kate and I decided to enter a few contests.  This brought on a new challenge: finding all the contests out there and keeping track of all the dates, submission guidelines, and entries involved.  Since I designated myself the official "contest captain" for our dynamic writing duo, I've been frantically hopping from blog to blog in order to compile all of this information into a manageable jumble of bookmarks, iCal alerts, and .docs.  At one point I seriously considered mirroring my macbook screen to our 52" tv so I could see everything without inducing a massive migraine.  I still might.

Whining aside, diving into the pitch contest circuit has been pretty fun, and it's a great way to feel proactive while you're waiting for agents to take a look at your query/submission.  That being the case, I thought I'd help others join in on the fun by posting a few contests here.

  • Feeling creative?  Consider a shooting a video pitch for Laugh.Write.Play's Pitch Live contest!
  • Three contests in October from the very productive Brenda Drake, including a Super Secret Pitch contest on October 15th-19th, and Trick or Treat with an Agent on October 24th.
  • Get Your Pitch On at YAtopia starting October 1st with a pitch workshop.  Entries can be posted on October 15th!
Go forth and pitch!




1 comment: